Tuesday, August 9, 2011

EMTI (Eugene Mathews' Twitter Instructions)



Hellerrr and welcome to Eugene Mathews' Twitter Instructions (EMTI), this course is not hard but that can be adjusted if you're into such things. Let's get started...

1) What's the point of twitter?
Twitter is a social site which wants you to share information, whether it be your opinion, what you're doing or even an article you may like. It sounds tedious but so many millions of people can't be wrong can they?

2) How does it work?
It's just like updating your facebook status only this time you only have 140 characters to work with, there are ways around that but I'll get to that at a later stage. Following people is like adding them as a friend but with a hint of not so much. Twitter only became fun for me once I started following comedians but y'all can follow who ever ya wanna, it's your world!

3) My best piece of advice...
Connect your twitter to your facebook account. Why? The principle of killing two birds with one stone applies here, or since we're living in more modern times I like to say killing two pigs with one Angry Bird. Think about it: the majority of your friends on facebook are people you actually know so sharing your tweets with them is only right. Why must your followers be the only people to get the best of you? If ya dunno how to connect the two, feel free to ask.

4) Retweet much?
A retweet is when you see someone you're following tweet something good enough to share with your followers so you retweet it. It does get a bit complicated though. Say ma now you wanna reply to something someone tweeted but you're not sure that person is gonna know what you're talking about you can quote the tweet and reply to it then separate the two with the letters RT. For example.

@eugenemmathews: All men are dogs! #idiots

You read my tweet and it compels you to reply but you've only seen my tweet a couple of hours later but I was complaining about some taxi so I probably tweeted 8 tweets already. All you do is seperate the your reply and the original tweet with RT (this is much easier if your phone has the quote tweet function):

@jawonthefloor: I feel ya! RT @eugenemmathews: All men are dogs! #idiots

5) The #Hashtag
Yes this is a twitter invention which has filtered down to facebook with both positive and negative results. A hash before a word or combination of words is either you contributing to a topic which is already happening in twitterland, or if there's nobody who's even used that hashtag you'll be starting one (a topic I mean). As you may have noticed once a hash is before a word on twitter it is highlighted, this is called a hashtag. When clicking on the hashtag you will be taken to another place where other tweeters tweeted and the same hashtag was used. This is a place where many other people who aren't necessarily following you will see your tweet and they are able to reply to you and even follow you should they like what you've said.

6) 140 Characters!? I CAN'T DEAL!!
Not to worry dear, there ways around this handicap. I personally use twitlonger but there other sites such as tmi and yfrog (I think) that allows you to type to your heart's content and it will publish your tweet to a point then add a link to see the entire tweet.

That's all I have for now, there's a lot more so don't be afraid to ask!

2 comments:

  1. You never connect your Twitter account to Facebook the reason being is that Twitter are two separate audiences and two different platforms. You can post from Facebook to Twitter but not the other way around. Twitter is a constant flow of information that goes out 24/7 if you have it linked to Facebook you will be spamming your audience with the constant flow and your friends will be annoyed by it. They won't say it they will just start hiding your posts. So eventually you will not reflect on their timeline.

    The is a specific reason for using #hashtag which I won't get into here. I have planned to blog about it because it is easily misused and abused. I'm not convinced it is a trend happening in FB it is something people do because they are tweeting and trying to kill two birds with one stone. There is absolutely no purpose to be using a #hastag in Facebook. But you started on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog entry is by no means the gospel, it is from my point of view drawn from the experiences that has worked for me. I have received plenty of feedback with regards to this entry and so far it has all been positive (except for your input of course).

    You have your way of doing things, it is probably the correct way but this is my blog and I stand by everything that I've written.

    ReplyDelete